State Bank of India (SBI) conducts an exam for recruitment to the post of Probationary Officer (PO) for its branches across the country.
SBI conducts the examination in three phases in order to carry out the complete recruitment process. The three steps that SBI follows for the recruitment are as follows:
- Online Preliminary Examination (Objective Test).
- Online Mains Examination (Objective Test and Descriptive Test).
- Group Exercises and Personal Interview.
SBI PO 2019 Exam Pattern
The SBI PO Exam is conducted in 3 phases. The written exam is – Prelims & Mains which are conducted online, followed by an interview round. The structure of exams is as follows:
Phase-1: SBI PO Preliminary Examination
This is an online exam where candidates have to solve the question paper in hour for 100 marks. The test comprises of 3 sections. The section-wise distribution of the marks are:
- English Language: Total questions – 30, Maximum marks – 30, Duration – 20 minutes.
- Numerical Ability: Total questions – 35, Maximum marks – 35, Duration – 20 minutes.
- Reasoning Ability: Total questions – 35, Maximum marks – 35, Duration – 20 minutes.
Phase-2: SBI PO Mains Exam
This test has 155 questions that have to be answered in 3 hours. The paper is divided into 4 sections – Reasoning & Computer Aptitude, Data Analysis & Interpretation, General/ Economy/ Banking Awareness and English Language.
- Reasoning & Computer Aptitude: Total questions – 45, Maximum marks – 60, Duration – 60 minutes.
- Data Analysis & Interpretation: Total questions – 35, Maximum marks – 60, Duration – 45 minutes.
- General/ Economy/ Banking Awareness: – 40, Maximum marks – 40, Duration – 35 minutes.
- English Language: Total questions: – 35, Maximum marks – 40, Duration – 40 minutes.
The Descriptive Test has a duration of 30 minutes with a score of 50 marks. This test is conducted to test the writing skills of candidates via Letter Writing & Essay Writing.
Penalty for Wrong Answers:
The penalty for wrong answers Objective Tests of both Preliminary and Mains exams is 0.25 marks. There will be no penalty for leaving a question blank, i.e. if no answer is marked by the candidate.
Phase-3: Group Exercise & Interview
The aggregate marks of all the candidates clearing both the Objective Tests and Descriptive Test will be arranged in descending order in each category. The decided number of candidates in each category, as governed by the Bank will be called for Group Exercises and Interview. The qualifying marks in Group Exercises & Interview will be as decided by the Bank. Group exercises account for 20 marks while Interview is for 30 marks.
SBI PO Syllabus
The syllabus for SBI PO preliminary exam and mains exam is almost same. SBI PO Mains exam has 2 additional sections to be prepared – Computer Aptitude and General Awareness. Here’s the detailed SBI PO syllabus for both the exams:
SBI PO Preliminary Exam syllabus: The preliminary examination of SBI PO exam constitutes of Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language.